Friday, June 5, 2020

Containing the mint

Everything I've read about mint says it spreads and takes over and you should always always always plant it in a metal container to contain it if you have mint. I bought mint last fall (a variety called "chocolate mint"), and planted it on the top side of the garden wall by the blueberries, figuring at least it's contained on one side, which should give me a good head start.

This spring I thought it didn't come back at all. So I bought another pack and planted it on the far southeast corner of our yard where it's enclosed by concrete on two sides (the curb and the path) and as far away from neighbors as I can get.

And then I noticed that the chocolate mint was back up. And it was spreading.

Enter craigslist. I found a SUPER cool copper washbasin for $10 within five miles or so of home. I inquired, and not only was it still there, but the size was just what I had been wanting. They were selling it cheap because it leaks, and they figured it wasn't good for anything other than recycling. But since I WANTED it to leak, I happily picked up the ragged old thing, dug a nice oval hole in the garden near the wall and the blueberries, and proceeded to punch about two dozen more holes in the bottom. A layer of rock, some soil, and...voila!...the mint is contained!
Because of where it's located on the slope, the two-inch lip at the top side means that there's a good 6-8 inches showing on the downhill side. I am just thrilled!!

No comments:

Post a Comment